The common myth that GOOGLE Apps and Skype aren't available for Linux is now broken! That's right. You can install GOOGLE Apps and Skype right from your package manager after you add these two repositories. For addding a repository, goto System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager -> Preferences -> Repositories and follow the instructions in the links given below
For the GOOGLE Apps use this link
For Skype, use this
Medibuntu means Multimedia, Entertainment and Distractions in Ubuntu. It's repositories has softwares which are not included in Ubuntu repos for many issues like copyright, security etc. Also these aren't supported by Ubuntu community. So any bug found cannot be reported to them. However, I would recommend you to give it a shot :-)
These are responsible for presenting your Desktop to you. In simple terms, it does the function of explorer.exe in Windows. There are many types of desktop managers. Some popular ones are GNOME, KDE, CDE and XFCE. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages.
The window manager is responsible for the looks of your Desktop. It is like the theme manager in Windows. Every window manager has its own unique feature. Some like compiz and beryl are definite eye candies. They have several inbuilt features like animations etc.
Ubuntu uses GNOME Desktop Manager with Compiz Window Manager. However, these can be changed to our need.
To know more about any desktop manager or window manager do a simple GOOGLE search. I will post a list of the popular desktop and window managers along with the link in my next blogs. Till then, c ya!!!
Finally I installed Ubuntu 8.04 in my Dell Inspiron 1525 yesterday. Now I can dual boot Vista with Ubuntu. Installation is very easy. Here is how
1. You just need to save some space (4 GB atleast) by shrinking some volume and make sure its a free space partition.
2. Put the Ubuntu CD in and reboot from it.
3. The installation process will start and you can easily navigate through it. When it asks for the partition check whether it shows your HDD with the used space for Windows Vista/Longhorn and some space for Ubuntu. This means all is ok and you can proceed with the installation.
4. The partition manager should start and press manual in it and select the longest continous free space (which obviously will be your new volume)nt.
5. Now press Install and and Ubuntu will get installed in less than 15 mins! This is seriously faster than Vista. :-)
6. Reboot your machine without the CD and it should display the GRUB bootloader and it should show both Windows and Ubuntu. Log in where ever you feel like and enjoy!!!
Today Popups (the club for first years under SCANIT) was inaugrated. We had two sessions of orientations. One for the ITC group and the other for other branches. Ashwath, Sandhya and Komal went to every non ITC class in VDV and announced for the inaugral while Harish S and myself were putting up the posters for the event. Today, the turn up for both the sessions were good and specially the response from the other branches was humongus!!! People were sitting everywhere. Right from the stairs in TIFAC to the stage! We had nowhere to walk on stage! Both the Harsha's were entertaining the crowd throughout the session and I also got a chance to do the same for sometime at the end. I felt like addressing a crowd in times of war where people gather in small places which is super overcrowded. Then we distributed the registration forms, made a couple of people sing and also selected the class representatives. After the session was over we had a good interaction with the juniours. To sum up I would say thanks to the efforts of Sandhya, Ashwath and Komal an amazing crowd with full energy and enthu turned up and both the Harshas for keeping them entertained. Lets see how the response is in the next sessions. :-)